[RC] Alpine's feet update - Juli Bechard

Well, we are back from Gainesville, a lot poorer and a little wiser.? Alpine has bad bruises all over his front feet from some lousy farrier work.? Our normal farrier broke his pelvis about 12 weeks ago, and we had to have a replacement come in to do feet.? About three weeks after that, Alpine went lame.? None of us liked the first guy’s job, so we called a different one to come out.? He was no better.? Alpine’s feet were seriously out of balance, they allowed his heels to stay too long, and set his shoes about ¾ of an inch too far forward.?

On the bright side, Alpine has beautiful clean x-rays.? The vet says his x-rays don’t tell that he’s a 14 year old well traveled horse.? The farrier at the university reset his shoes, putting them quite a ways back past his heels and really rolling his toes.? He spent a lot of time with me showing me exactly what I want to see when Al’s feet are trimmed. I tried to bribe him into coming to Jacksonville to do Al and Merlin’s feet, but I got told I can’t afford him.? He’s probably right.? They said he should be fine in a few days.? When he’s sound, ride him.? He is already moving better trotting around the pasture when we got home.?

So!? This means that Alpine CAN do endurance again!!!? I’m excited.? Actually, the most interesting thing of the whole day is that he weighed 928 #’s today!? He’s 14.1, and I always assumed about 800-850#’s. I’ve been under dosing him when I worm him…..?

Juli and the Herd
Alpine (I did not enjoy my trip today.? I do NOT like hot shoeing.? I REALLY didn’t like the TB Stallion neighbor there)

Merlin ( phew…thought I was going to be started sooner cause Alpine was unridable)

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.169)
Database version: 5.07550
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/