[RC] Fw: follow up on Stewart Horse Camp - Jeanne Slominski

FYI

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:59 PM
Subject: follow up on Stewart Horse Camp

Jeanne, thanks for sending this along.  I used to have a connection with Ridecamp but no longer.  Pamela, the 100-ft. setback from creeks is purely arbitrary and not a firm requirement.  Since the Stewarts pick up all manure at the camp weekly, and scrub it all down when it closes for the winter on Nov. 1, we are saying that the present fenced setbacks from Olema creek and tributaries, which have served well for 15 years, can easily be grandfathered in to the prospectus.
   I had a long talk with the park supt. and he admitted the document was full of errors.  I told him it has so many flaws and wrong assumptions it should be withdrawn and rewritten. He asked me to send him a memo listing our concerns, and I sent him four pages.
     The person who wrote it knows nothing about horses or horse camping and sought no advice before she wrote it.  The "new" camping area next to Hwy. One has no water and the gravity-fed stock water taps in the main campground won't serve that far.  Hwy. One is noisy, busy, and dangerous in case of loose horses.  A gate there would be counterproductive as there is no room to get rigs off the road while the gate is being worked.  And on and on.
   The Stewarts have been operating on lease-back from the Park.  The contract has been in the making for ten years!  This is actually the first concessionaire contract that the NPS has ever issued for the Horse Camp.  Fortunately for us, they are the Preferred Bidders, but unless they smarten up about the prospectus, Amanda won't bid.   The Horse Council is on top of this, and we are pleased that the word is out and that others will be writing too.  Connie B.