Re: [RC] I am soooo sick of saddles - Beth Walker

Just to clarify on the Specialized, since I have one ... it does not have a flexible tree. ?The tree itself is a western-style, very wide tree. ?What is unique about the Specialized is that the tree panels are lined with velcro, and it comes with a closed-cell foam set of shims which have matching velcro. ?It also comes with one set of foam panels, also velcro lined. ?You can order the base panels in different thicknesses. ?The system allows you to change the fit of the panels to a large degree. ?You can put in shims to adjust the angle to some extent, to fill in hollow spots, correct bridging, etc. ?It can take some fiddling around, but you can get a really nice fit. ?It really helped me to have a saddle fitter do the basic fit -- I thought I had things OK, but she showed me that the saddle was actually bridging the way I had it set up. ?Once she fixed it, I could then fine-tune it. ?

The Specialized didn't quite suite me, though, for a couple of reasons: ?my fellow has a really short back, and the basic saddle was just too long for him. ?He had some loin-rubbing issues (they got 90% better after the saddle fitter, but never quite went away completely). ?The other reason is that the saddle just didn't quite fit me, so I had security issues with it. ?When things get wild, I tend to grip with my knees to secure a grip on the saddle, and that was hard for me to do in the Specialized. ?If those things don't apply to you, the a Specialized might work just fine.

I currently have a Rubicon from the Arabian Saddle Company. ?I ?**THINK** it is fitting him well, and I am much more secure in it, but I also plan to buy a Fort Lewis Impression pad as soon as I get a little extra money so I can check the fit myself periodically. ?I'm keeping my Specialized as a backup saddle.