Re: [RC] Kuods to the Teeters for NC Ride - Steph Teeter

>> a NATIONAL championship ride should have better representation. That, and an overall winner. >>

I really want to comment on this. I absolutely totally agree with you, but the current policy of AERC's Championship ride is to not recognize an overall winner, only weight division winners. (if the membership has opinions on this, you're free to express them!) As far as representation - the price of gas is a big deal. Our continent is huge, and that's just that way it is and the way it's always going to be - but I still think a (National) Championship is important for the sport. Having it here in the NW gave several NW riders the chance to participate - probably the only time they'd have that chance. That's a big deal.

On the overall winner part - the first to cross the finish line at this event - John Crandell III riding Heraldic - is - in my very personal opinion (non-official)- as close to National Champion as we'll get. The effort, focus, horsemanship, planning, strategy, training, attention to every every detail ... it was no accident that they finished first - and certainly it was John's goal - to be the first across the finish line. Plus I'd venture to say that John's gracious manner, humility, and true desire to help other riders and help our sport, makes him about as close to a national 'hero' as we've seen in a long time. His horse - Heraldic - is absolutely awesome. Perhaps we've got the next Becky and Rio - a team that we can cheer for and be sincerely proud of. I do think we need that.

Steph