[RC] Shoulder Conformation - k s swigart

Angie Fura said:

So far, I've learned that the steeper the angle,
the rougher the trot and the more likely the horse
is to hollow his back. What I don't know is why.
Can anyone help me understand the connection?

Well...if you ask me, the first part of the statement is wrong, at least
with the "more likely to hollow his back" part of it.  And here is why.

In order to properly round its back, a horse must lower its
hindquarters, push them further underneath the body and raise the
shoulder while rotating the shoulder backwards by lifting the head from
the neck.

If the shoulder is angled too far (i.e. it is already rotated backwards
when the horse is just standing there), then it is impossible for the
horse to rotate the shoulder backwards and raise the forehand in this
way, so it becomes extremely difficult for the horse to get the forehand
out of the way of the hind end.

If the horse has an "over" laid-back shoulder and a neck that is set on
too high, it is, in essence "born" with a hollowed out back, and it is
extremely difficult to work the horse in such a way as to counter-act
this.

Horses with more upright shoulders have more backward range of motion in
their shoulder (i.e. they can rotate it backwards further and more
easily), so it is easier to get them to round their backs.

However, if it is too upright, then they have limited range of motion to
be able to rotate their shoulder forward (this is what makes for the
rough trot).

One of the reasons that jumpers have a tendency to have shoulders that
are a little on the upright side is that it makes it easier for the
horse to lift its front end, and rotate the shoulder back so the horse
can get the front legs out of the way as it goes over the jump.

Slows the horse down a little bit though since, because the horse cannot
rotate its shoulder forward quite as much, it makes it so the horse gets
a little bit less propulsion from its front legs during breakover.

A good shoulder angle is one that is kinda in the middle, although if I
had to choose a deviation from the ideal, I would choose a little on the
upright side over too laid back.  It is much easier to shift the weight
to the HQ if the shoulder is a little more upright.

None of this, however, addresses any of the other front end leg angles,
which also contribut a great deal to the functioning of the front legs.
There is also the angle of the humerus (that short bone between the
point of the shoulder and the elbow) and the pastern angle (an upright
pastern contributes more to a rough trot than an upright shoulder but
there is also such a thing as too sloping of a pastern), and to a small
extent the knee angle (one hopes that the horse is neither over nor back
at the knee but it doesn't always work out that way).

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)