Re: [RC] OT Computer keyboards - Diane Trefethen

...anyone else has this same thing happen to them. In just a matter of a few months, I can type the letters off any keyboard.
Amber

Hi Amber,

I thought I remembered that people's skin can have different ph levels so I googled "skin ph" and got 7.4 million hits. Turns out that yes, human skin is acidic, "Your skin is fairly acidic, which helps it ward off the advances of harmful bacteria and fungi. The optimal pH of human skin is 5,5 and you can measure it with a piece of litmus paper." However, there are people with lower (more acidic) ph than normal and others who have "acid spots" on their skin. Also, skin/hand lotions that are "ph balanced", such as Oil of Olay, can contribute to a slightly lowered ph which is fine if you've just washed your hand with regular (non-ph balanced") soap but still poses a problem for the letters on your keyboard. The bottom line is that you have more acid in your fingertips than the norm and that's what is primarily responsible for your losing your letters so fast, although a pounding stroke can contribute to the phenomenon too.

Before turning on your computer, try washing your hands with a soap that is alkaline instead of "ph balanced" and then when you finish using your computer you can apply a good quality hand lotion to restore the skin's ph to normal levels. The normal ph, btw, is important to help the skin fight off bacteriological infection so your lower than normal ph is actually a good thing... except for your keyboard's letters :)