Re: [RC] OT: Jobs vs. Gates - Joe Long

Laney Humphrey wrote:
Truman, being a left hander & therefore a right brained person who has never used a Mac, why should I prefer one to a PC?
Laney

As someone who used Windows since it first came out over 20 years ago and who used to hate Macs (like owning a car with the hood welded shut), I'll try to answer that.

For the last three years I've been using a Mac Powerbook provided by my employer. This was after Apple changed from their proprietary, closed operating sytem to OS-X, a version of Unix. So Macs are no longer appliances with the "hood welded shut." You can customize them to your heart's content and there are thousands of high-quality apps for them (many of them low-cost or free).

Then Apple changed to using Intel processors. The result of that was that last year I replaced my Windows computer in my home office with a Mac Pro. And then replaced Kat's Windows computer with a Mac Mini.

The reasons I dumped all of my Windows computers for Macs are many. The quality of the hardware is one, the wonderful Mac applications are others, but the Unix operating system is the main one. That includes a much lower risk from viruses. I run my Mac Pro on a public IP address, run my own mail server, and will shortly have my website on it as well, with little fear of being hacked.

Alas, there are still some applications that ONLY run on Windows -- some online poker sites, for example. But with Macs now having the Intel chip, I just run Windows on it for those, using a program called Parallels. I run real, genuine Microsoft Windows in a window on my desktop whenever I need one of those apps (and keep it shut down the rest of the time so that it isn't a virus magnet).

Of course, Macs aren't for everyone. You should at least spend an hour or so with one at a store, though. That's not nearly enough time to really get to appreciate them, but it will give you a taste, and for many people that will be enough to get them hooked.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx