Re: [RC] Colic/Mineral Oil - Don Huston

Yes you are right because if you get exasperated and aggressive with the syringe you could force oil into their lungs so basically Vets recommend you not even try it. I was doing it slowly with a turkey baster at the corner of the mouth (like using a wormer) and trying to get the horse to swallow it...right :-[. Now I will pay the vet to do it when necessary.
Don Huston

At 01:04 PM 8/19/2007 Sunday, you wrote:
good advice - thanks!  I didn't think about the trailer-ride thing.   I was sure I had read somewhere that you shouldn't ever syringe oil into a horse in case it went into their lungs?  maybe I dreamed it.   I thought it had to be tubed in.  Oh well - it all ended up OK.

Thanks again, Don
Karen
----- Original Message -----
From: Don Huston
To: Karen Ellis
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Colic/Mineral Oil
Hello Karen,
Two times in the past I tried to syringe mineral oil down a colicky horse's throat and walk them around and they got better. The vet (my friend) had a good laugh and confirmed my suspicions that most of the oil was on the outside of me and on the outside of the horse with maybe only 25% inside the horse which probably had no real effect. The only good thing about my efforts to get oil inside the horse was it kept the horse agitated and moving around and not thinking about his gut ache all the time which of course finally resolved itself with a good crap. A quart of oil in a gallon of water pumped in by a vet is really the best method. Another thing, along with the banamine, that can really help is an hour trailer ride. Have you ever seen a horse pass up an opportunity to dump a hot load into a clean trailer? The trailer trick has worked twice at my boarding stable. When it didn't work the vet came and pumped fluids in from both ends. Now that worked. X;{
Don Huston