Re: [RC] [RC] Drugs v. bullet - Daniela Desilets

Hi,

"Sorry to inform you but there is a percentage that do not go down well, same drugs." b

I absolutely agree with this statement. It isn't only with horses. A couple years ago, I had to put my old dog down, she fought the sedation for 45 minutes before the second shot could be administered. It was absolutely awful - and I had had other senior pets euthanized before, without incident. Several years ago I had to put a horse down, couldn't recover from an injury he had acquired before I got him (I had hoped that with time and good care it would get better). Anyhow, I refused to ship him off, but I was unprepared for the logistical difficulties of disposing of him. The BO where I was at the time would not let him be buried on her hundreds of acres. I was looking at spending apprx. $500 to euthanize and then hire the backhoe, but regardless, if you have no where to bury the body ....

I ended up getting an outfitter who is an expert marksman, to come out. He shot the horse, ONE shot and it WAS instant. He took the body to use for his hunting/outfitting business. I felt very badly at the time that the horse couldn't be buried, but I don't feel the same now. I would personally not send a horse to auction or slaughter, BUT I won't judge others for making that choice. I suspect that I have more options for disposal available for me where I live, than many others may have elsewhere. Oh yeah, I would get a marksman again rather than chemical euthanization.

Daniela

See Fireworks On Live Image Search http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP