From: kellswaterfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] horse slaughter
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:26:51 -0500

On a similar note....EVERY good breeding program will produce cull animals.  I don't care HOW magnificent the parents are...some of 'em just "Ain't Right."  And some times the breeder may not know that is the case until it is a grown animal...where do these go?

Yes, more responsible breeding would be a great thing (and greatly reduce the number of "culls" and probably INCREASE the likelihood that the cull has SOME function).  But it is STILL going to happen.  Add to that the fact that people are just NOT magically becoming more responsible about their breeding....what to do?

I WISH there were still local places to take a horse for slaughter, where I could watch to be sure it was humane...

But then, I, too, want to see my OWN remains used for science...or at LEAST fertilizer, not take up space in a golf course with a lock of stone obstacles....sigh!