RE: [RC] was slaughter update - Terry Banister

You are missing the point!  It is the current process that is so inhumane!
There is no excuse for it. We are a civilized, "enlightened" country (or so we like to think). I couldn't sleep several nights this week ( I knew I shouldn't have watched that link) just thinking of the kind of person that would make their living by driving those trucks or working for this Nazi-concentration-camp mentality places. They gotta be desperate, ice-hearted individuals who then go home to ~ what kind of family life? I wonder if they have pets? How can those drivers of those trucks live with themselves? Sure, they are just wanting a paycheck like anyone else. Are they so desperate they cannot get one anywhere else? . . . Or do they like what they do? Ewwww!

Auctions are the starting point of the trip to hell to the slaughterhouses. If the horses that are sold at auction (the killers buy horses in good flesh, not sick, old starving animals) represent approximately only 1% of the country's equine population, then 99% are handled differently. That 1% can just as easily be handled the same way the other 99% are disposed of. The article "Fate of the Unwanted Horses" stated that during those 8 months that Caval was shut down, there was not an increase of abuse. When people know they need to find another way, they do.

Why are "living beings" sold at auction? What % of these auction horses are actually purchased by private individuals for personal use? My guess is not many, especially not many per person at each auction. The auctions are just a convenient place for the killers to make a living. The auctions could be boycotted by an educated public, and there would then be no horses to sell. If someone really wanted a horse to go to the killers, they could just call them to pick up the horse. I ponied and hot-walked Thoroughbred racehorses for two seasons at a flatrack back East, and that is what they did. If you want that horse dead, no need to take it to auction. Or do people take horses to auction because they want to receive money instead of paying money to dispose of their responsibility for that horse? Yeah, I think so.

How far do people transport horses to sell at auction? My guess is that the people who dump horses at auction are within a short range (maybe that 1% of the horses in the country) , so my guess is that if the "convenience" of auctions were removed, these people would just find another way (like the rest of the country) to dispose of their responsibility.

Terry
"May the Horse be with you"