[RC] Slaughter- The numbers problem.. - Karen Everhart

There is a cute, though poignant, email about a barnyard animal crying for help.  The other animals on the farm were not interested, didn't feel it applied to them, and failed to do anything about the problem.  Within time, the issue began to affect every one of the barnyard animals in a very negative fashion.

That is where we (horse people) are regarding the slaughter issue.  Producers of all types want the freedom to produce as many of "whatever" as they can, whether they can sell them or not.  Individuals want to use, abuse, throw-away, or swap out an animal because it is not the right color, size, disposition, gender, or "whatever" ( I know of a breeder who only breeds for palominos and sends all other babies to auction/slaughter).  Then, when legislation is passed to eliminate our "waste system" (slaughter) because we (horse people) have gotten ourselves  in a pickle and not managed our affairs effectively, we cry foul.

If we were in any other industry and were failing to understand "supply and demand" criteria, we would have been out of business a long time ago with a HUGE inventory of product; horses.  Instead, we (horse people) created the slaughter industry.  Yes, we (horse people) did it.  We over-produced and then had to find an outlet.  We let the Belgians and Dutch and other foreign investors know that we had an abundance of horse flesh.  They in turn knew that the meat was highly desired in many countries, so an extension of the horse business was created: slaughter.  And they have made ton of money off of our horses.

Because breed organizations thrive on increased registrations, it makes no business sense to encourage a slow down in production of  registered stock.  So most fail to implement any programs that might discourage breeding.  Fortunately the American Jockey Club is coming to the realization that an off-shoot of Thoroughbred production and racing (thousands sent to slaughter every year) is bad press.  They are now doing something about it by stepping up publicly against slaughter and funding thoroughbred rescues and rehoming facilities.

We (horse people) can choose to step up to the plate as responsible horse owners or not.  Regardless, the horse has an appeal that is indescribable and individuals who may never have owned a horse in their lives are captivated by its magnifigance.  Those folk have a voice in the decisions of this nation and they (as well as many, if not most, of the horse owners across America) do not take lightly to our (horse folk) decision to send horses on the slaughter train any longer.`  So, we (horse people) have lost that shameful portion of our business - or at least have mostly lost it as the Cavel plant is still operational.  However, horses are now being trucked across the border to Mexico and Canada in ever increasing numbers.  If you have never observed the final moments of a horses life in that environment, please feel free to view the following video:

We (horse people) can do something about this.  We can stop supporting uncontrolled breeding by refusing to "buy".  We can contact our Senate and House Representatives and tell them that we do not want America's horses trucked anywhere for slaughter.  We can become informed about the realities of the slaughter process.  We can support local rescue facilities with our dollars and our time.  We can also hold our local authorities accountable for bringing abuse, neglect and abandonment perpetrators to justice.

The reason so many get by with atrocities towards the horse is because we (horse people) are like the barnyard critters I mentioned above; we do not feel it is our problem........not true!

Karen Everhart MEd
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082
Am I the only one that thinks the REASON we have so many throw-away animals has to do with the PEOPLE who are producing them? How many horses are churned out every year for the various industries so that they can find their one or two prospective champions?

How exactly should the horse community go about addressing the issue of reducing the number of animals that have uncertain futures?