Re: [RC] was slaughter update - The numbers problem.. - Ibiteraaarr

Unfortunately, there is very little one can do to enforce morality when non exists, as we are seeing in the Malaysian abuse report. Another huge issue that was here in the states was the atrocities at the Stone Quarter Horse ranch, where neighbors submitted pictures to the authorities of the emaciated animals and the carcasses that were strewn across the pasture. If I remember correctly, it proved to be very difficult to have any sort of action brought against Ms. Stone. It is also very easy for almost anyone to acquire a horse, including the ignorant, given the price range varies so much.

This still all seems to me to be but a peripheral issue of the real problem. Am I the only one that thinks the REASON we have so many throw-away animals has to do with the PEOPLE who are producing them? How many horses are churned out every year for the various industries so that they can find their one or two prospective champions?

I did read that article from the slaughter page, and looked at all the lovely graphs and charts that claim that only 1% of the equine population ends up going to slaughter. But according to just the handful of people on this list who actually DO rescue work, it seems like even that 1% puts a tremendous strain on the limited resources available to handle the animals that would otherwise end up in the chutes of a plant. So we're back to where we started? How exactly should the horse community go about addressing the issue of reducing the number of animals that have uncertain futures? I have my doubts that "horse people", (and I use that term loosely), who's animals are a means to an end would embrace any sort of limitation on the animals they crank out for the sake of the horse's benefit. If they were the sort of people who viewed these animals as more then just an implement for profit, then maybe we wouldn't be in this perdicament.