[RC] Dry Poop and Metamucil (pooped out on a ride) - Tammy Shuck

Hi,
I have another "stupid" question. We did a 50 at Santiam last Sat. We rode very, very Conservative and finish in 9 hrs. Scooter was slow to drink until the 1st vet check and after that drank pretty good and ate very well. On the last 12 mile stretch he pooped quite a bit and we finished at 4:44 with all A's and A- on gut sounds.
Back at the trailer he is drinking and eating, peeing very well, just no poop. I walk him and let him graze. He is very content, and lays down and sleeps most of the night. I on the other hand am watching him like a hawk and he dosent poop until about 3:00 am. He does make about 4 piles by around 7 am. and all is well.
4 hr trailer ride home sunday and no poop in trailer. Get home and he eats and drinks and is happy. Overnight only about 5 piles and they are very small and dry, same thing last night. I called my non endurance vet and he said it sounded like a hydration thing and he just needs to get caught back up. Said I could give him a stool softener.
What do you all think? I have never had this problem before, usually right after a ride it might be a few hrs before he is pooping normal again but not like this. Has anyone ever given Metamucil to a horse? Is it safe and how much should I give? He is getting a beet pulp mash before rides and for a few days after the ride could I just add some Metamucil to this?
He really does seem to feel good and is very content just the poop thing.
Thanks, Tammy