Re: [RC] [RC] Subject: [RC] hoof protection at Tevis - Dawn Carrie - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Dawn Carrie:
...new boots, and I had 3 buckles break.  Actually, one buckle broke...during the 6 miles from the finish to Lower Quarry, as I noticed it was broken when we got to LQ.  The buckle simply snapped in half, leaving just one of the little slots for the cable.  Brand new boot, first time used....

Anyone else had this problem?

Oh, me! me!

Actually, I did slightly better than you - I managed to
get two 50s and a 75 out of my boot before doing a
two mile rocky walking ride and voila, the buckle
snapped in half as you describe. This was one of
the "new style" buckles (not the upside-down ones -
just the slightly shinier, curvier ones).

* * *

Interestingly, although I've done about 3-5 50s with
him in EZ boots this year (fronts only, over shoes),
last weekend he started tripping in them really badly,
to the extent where he stumbled and didn't make a
corner/slight uphill and we both fell into a bank and
he sliced his legs up scrabbling around to get upright
again.

I was using some older, wider boots (I've now seen
three different widths for "0"s, depending on the year
of manufacture), so switched to some narrower
different year "0"s and did a quick pre-ride on Friday
before Eastern High Sierra Classic. He was still
tripping really badly and just didn't look quite right
in the boots - his angles/breakover didn't seem to
match those of the boot.

So I ended up taking them off and putting Hoof-It
pour-in pad in both front feet. Not only did it stay
in, he also didn't trip at all on the ride (something
I was thankful of, given the rocks and drop-offs on
that ride).

Not sure why this is. I guess his feet are changing
as the year goes along.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA