Re: [RC] Horse Abuse in Malaysia - oddfarm

Tom , whenever I questioned what happens to these endurance horses that are
sold for big bucks overseas, because it seems we never hear from them again,
I was told I didn't have a clue. Even when these horses "retire" they go to
the TajMaStalls farms. Didn't you know that? Big time racers know more about
endurance than we do, (so I am told) so they must take excellent care of
their horses. (sarcasm folks)

Unless you are a true horseman or woman, (and there are many in the
endurance world) the value of a horse is usually measured only in money. How
much can be made off them or how much they can be sold for. Unfortunately,
they don't always hold their "value". So then what happens to them? Even in other countries where horses and mules are relied on for revenue and transportation, no matter how poor the area is, it seems these animals are disposable. While the owners may do their best to care for and feed them, the government couldn't care less if that is happening or not.

The best thing anyone can do whenever they spot animal abuse is to speak up, speak LOUDLY and keep it up until someone listens. It may take a day or two, or a year. Getting the media involved is one of the best starters of such conversation :)

The biggest problem I have seen with horse abuse and neglect is the lack of compassion from OTHER horse people, especially those who PROFIT from horses. If a stable owner reports a boarder, he loses money. If the feed delivery company reports anything, they could lose that account. I know that vets have seen some horrific situations and never said a word. I don't get it. It is all about money. The disease is rampant throughout the world.

I have been involved in confiscating horses from "well known and well respected in the community" types of individuals and guess what? They are the worst. To them, animals are PROPERTY, to do with whatever they want to. It is nobody's business. Then to top it off, they hire a lawyer. Didn't want to pay for feed and care for the horses, but WILL pay for an attorney to clear their "good name".

I am doing what I can in my own community trying to make a difference as well as my support group. The vet and farrier I use and my home girls who offer and take in foster horses all step up to the plate when I make that call. That is what people need to do. Take action. It also helps to have a known organization such as the SPCA or The Human Society involved because they are the ones to get the ducks lined up so that when everyone goes before the Judge, justice is served. It is NOT easy, but it is do-able.

After reading Dr. Nik's post, it appears that maybe the wheels are starting to turn. I would encourage everyone around the globe to write, call,e-mail, fax and continue to keep this situation in the forefront until it is resolved. It won't happen overnight.

You can only do, what you can do, and that is all you can do. I have had to learn that I can't save them all. So if I can make it better for just a few, that is all I can do.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Sites" <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>