To: <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Horse Abuse in Malaysia

The Aussies are amazed the Amerikans don't find this a big deal.
I have photos of a horse that someone said they never seen a horse
that skinny and when i post to RC that i have them how many

Tom, I think you're being a little hard on RC. You posted links to the sites when you made your original post, so there really wasn't a reason for them to have to reply to you personally to go see the photos as I did, and I'm sure many of them did. It was sickening, and soo sad. It's one thing to see starved horses (bad enough) but to see a horse that you can *tell* was an excellent endurance horse before starvation really hits home. I couldn't quit thinking about that bay. If anyone on the Aussie list can figure out who that horse is I think he could be the poster child to raise awareness.

As for the Aussies...They seem to be closer to the situation. Apparently
they have sold quite a few horses to Malaysia and considered it a viable
market. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I've never heard of any
American horse going to Malaysia so who can we mobilize to stop anyone
from selling to them?

I would think that this situation has done Peter Toft's reputation no
good to be listed as that stable's official trainer and if he's got an
excuse for that he should put it out there and defend his reputation.

Oh yeah, and lest people think I grossly exaggerated how much I was
offered for Kaboot...a year's salary for me back then wasn't what most of
your "year's salary" would be. >g< However, it was a good chunk. I'll
admit there's been times when I wondered if I did the right thing, but
after those photos I will NEVER doubt that decision again.

I would guess that many countries planned to lease horses in Malaysia for
the WEC. I'm sure not all 70 horses on this farm look like the ones in
the photos. My guess is there's the elite "competition" string and the
ones who become lame or for whatever reason cannot compete any more end
up on the "starve them down to the point that tourists can handle them"
string.  I think word needs to go out to any country considering leasing
to see that they boycott that farm.

Angie