From: Raven
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] what is better? Strangles vacination up the nose or a shot ?

>> would like to know what you think or where i can find some info on
Strangles vac. It is better to give the shot or administer it up the
nose ?

Hi Diana...I'm not a Vet...so, please make sure you chat with your Vet.

IMHO..I would not give horses any strangles vaccinations.

I learned while Huginn was at the U of MN, that if there is a chance
that a horse has ever been exposed to strangles....they should NEVER
receive a strangle vaccination.

That if horses have received strangle vaccinations in the
past...titers should be taken before giving additional strangles
vaccinations.

That both the IN and IM strangles vaccinations have many side effects
and adverse reactions, and according the some vets at the U of
MN...they are not "worth" the risks.

That being said...you really ought to discuss this with your Vet.

Why I will never again give any of my horses a strangle vaccination? I
lost Wizard, my beloved TWH gelding due to an IN strangles vaccine
adverse reaction. The vaccine caused a bastard strangles abscess
behind his right eye on his optic nerve, blinding him. In spite of
trying everything to "get rid" of the abscess, it continued to grow
putting much pressure on his brain. In the end...he had a serious
mental breakdown, similar to dementia and he became very dangrous.  I
had my vet euthanize him.

Wizard was my once-in-a-lifetime horse and I still miss him dearly.       Raven