Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Sponging question - Dawn Carrie

After you squeeze the water on the horse, just lean down and wipe it off with your hand.  You can reach way down on his shoulder/neck with your hand.  It may take a little practice the first time or two, and your horse may glance back at you, like, "what the #$%@  are you doin' up there?!?", but in no time it will be an easy routine.  Toss sponge, squeeze on horse, wipe water off as you're trotting along.  My horse Bear is so steady that if there's a lot of water I can drop the reins as we trot along, toss 'n sqeeze with my left hand (I'm left handed), and wipe with my right.  Or sometimes I go ahead and transfer the sponge to my right hand after bringing it up if I want to wet his right side...depends on the situation.  I'm not coordinated enough to do the "sponging on the fly" with my right hand...I'd probably hit myself in the eye with the sponge.  <G>

Dawn Carrie
and Bear (when she first started trying this, she used to hit me in the head and butt with the sponge...she sucked!)