Re: [RC] Soaking Hay - Rebecca Fabiszak

I soak most of my hay and try to at least wet down all of it. My daughter's 4 H pony is so severely foundered that he has to have as many extra carbohydrates removed as possible. I soak it for at least 20 min. for the pony. I have heard that soaking can remove many of the beneficial stuff besides extra sugar. After soaking about 30 lbls of hay for 3 horses, I throw it on top of an old chain link dog kennel gate that is laid on top of an old water tank. I let it drip there, turn it, feed what I need for the morning then try to turn what is still on the gate throughout the day. If I turn it once, it seems to not get hot or fermented. Anything that is questionable, I toss into the compost pile. I add trace mineral on top of the soaked hay. My daughter's 5 year old QH, who is a dark Lliver Chestnut, got heat exhaustion a month ago. I could not get "Water Boy" to drink at all, not even after feeding him two salt soaked banana's. I hosed him down and stood him in my shady back yard and let him eat grass all day. Finally, about 10 pm he drank.  I live in Northern Utah and we have had the hottest temps on record this summer, for the longest period with the most humidity. Lots of colics this summer for the vets. Beccy

----- Original Message ----
From: Val Nicoson <vnicoson@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:22:40 AM
Subject: [RC] Soaking Hay

Does anyone soak hay for their horses in hot+humid conditions?

My horses have not experienced damp/wet hay and I'm not so sure they'll eat it
And then of course I'm worried it will mold in our hot+humid weather conditions
here in the Midwest in Western Central to Southern IL

If so, how long do you soak it, how much do you feed at one time, etc to avoid the
hay from going bad in these conditions?

Thanks,
Val

Got a little couch potato?