RE: [RC] Molasses/sugar over concern - Susan G your comments appreciated - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Ok, it seems to me that this concern over molasses in beet pulp is a little
over the top for  endurance horses with normal metabolics.  Obviously
horses with Cushings or other problems need concern.  What am I missing
here?  Jeez dressage riders frequently feed their horses sugar cubes (of
course we NEVER did that as kids did we) LOLOL.

I agree, for most horses, the molasses in beet pulp isn't an issue, and
during an event, might be some advantage in maintaining blood glucose
levels.  You don't want to overdo it (and of course the definition of
"overdoing it" varies wildly)<g>, and maintaining glucose levels can be a
two-edged sword if you aren't consistent about it, but yes, unless there are
some metabolic/Cushings issues, I don't think it's realistically a big
concern.

There is sometimes the stray batch of beet pulp that comes out of the
refinery with a higher than normal residual sugar level, which again, for
most horses, is not a real big deal IMO.  The metabolism of sucrose is
different than for starch from grains and thus the potential laminitis
issues are quite different.  If a horse had some metabolic problems
(laminitis, Cushings, a history of tying up or just being incredibly goofy),
then soaking and rinsing the beet pulp to remove the soluble carbohydrates
is a good way to remove it.  For normal, healthy horses, the most likely
result is a horse that's feeling WAY too ready to go and thus is sorta like
riding the Space Shuttle without a seat belt, faulty steering and no brakes.
Just a little too exciting that early in the morning for me. <g>

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM