[RC] Dealing with fill - Sharon Hahn

Before I opened this thread, I thought it would be about big piles of dirt/sand!  But since you are asking about stocking up/tendon fill...

My mare is 23 and has been doing 25-30 miles UMECRA competitive rides for about 7-8 years.  She always has some filling to start with.   She nearly always gets a few points off for filling as it is generally worse at the end.  The extra accumulated during the ride generally goes away by 2 mornings after the ride.  It never seems to bother her, so I don't worry about it, wrap, poultice, or anything.  I asked the vet about it when I started and she said that it may be that I am underconditioning, or it may just be a sign of an older hardworking horse.  In a younger horse, it seems like it might more likely be the underconditioning (or riding on different type of trail at the ride that causes different stress?).  Why don't you ask the ride vet their opinion?  I've found good ride vets to be a gold mine of information if you approach them nicely when they aren't that busy -- most are glad to help someone who wants to learn how to take better care of their horse.

--
We've Got Your Name at Mail.com