[RC] stall rest - Sharon Hahn

Every horse is different, but here are a few ideas:

1.  Move them to a different stall periodically - keeps things interesting and allows you to clean the stall.  If the vet allows and your horse is good, set up four corral panels outside so he can still go out during the day, but in a stall-sized enclosure.

2.  If there's a more interesting stall, such as one by the door or the arena, put him there.

3.  Barn cats can be fun.  My one mare likes to chew on them.  The cats love it - like a massage!

3.  I've never had any luck with hand-walking.  It always turns into a rodeo.  When my 3-year old broke her ankle, she had to be on stall rest for 5-6 months.  I eventually just put her out without doing the handwalking - seemed much safer.  With only one old mare and 2 llamas for pasturemates, I knew she'd just stand around, and she did.  (Same horse had colic surgery at 1.5 years - a week or two before she was due to be turned back out, she crawled through the corral fence at night and lined up for breakfast with the pasture horses like nothing happened.  She won and got to go out early - I figured being out couldn't possibly be any worse for her incision than stunts like crawling through the fence.)

--
Enter the Bourne Ultimatum Sweepstakes
View Trailer, Win Free Prizes. In Theaters 08.03.07