Re: [RC] newby needs advice (for Kimberly) - Cunningham, Marci

Kimberly,

I can’t email you direct since I read the archives and it doesn’t show emails addresses, so I am responding to ridecamp.  The link to your website also didn’t work.  Diane gave you some good advice but I don’t think you need to be covering 12 miles in an hour and a half before you go to your first LD ride; after all you have 6 hours to go 25 miles including your hold times.  If you can average 5 to 6 miles an hour you will do fine.  Later on you can increase your speed but at the beginning I think it is better to error on the side of caution and go slower.  My endurance horses get about a cup of grain a day and that is only to provide a mix for their Platinum Performance supplement.  They are on irrigated pasture 24/7 and are fed oat/alfalfa cubes twice a day along with the PP.  Buy the best hay you can find and if you can provide pasture also that will be great.  The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the trail.

Marci Cunningham

Bakersfield CA

mcunningham at Calcot.com (no spaces)

Feel free to email me direct if you have more questions as I have mentored a number of new riders in my 20+ years of endurance riding.