Re: [RC] Dental Equipment for horses - Dyane Smith

Maryanne, I'll ask my vet (although I'm hoping not to see him for a couple of months).  I'm pretty sure he uses a DeWalt rechargeable drill with a special attachment.  Anyway, he told me that IF you know what you're doing, you can do it more precisely with an electric tool.  My vet emphasizes that you should never smooth the surfaces of the teeth, they need the rough surfaces to grind their food.

Dyane
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Subject: [RC] Dental Equipment for horses

To start off with, there are no horse dentists in Egypt and probably none any closer than France.  Our farrier does a pretty good job (better than the vet actually) and he was asking today about electric tools for doing the floating. Now, my immediate private response was that while electric tools make the job easier, they also make it easier to make bigger mistakes. Maybe I'm just being an alarmist, but I thought that I'd consult the list for some wisdom. Is this a good idea? What sort of things would be recommended if he were to buy something? We have 220 electricity so something rechargeable might be good.

Maryanne

--
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx