Re: [RC] Poison Oak & Horses - Lauren Horn

Well, maybe she had the tick fever before but with stress and travel it just happened to show up a week after the ride? The vet is coming tomorrow to pull blood to test for it.?

I have a funny story about poison oak. For years I thought I was immune to it as I had brushed up against it many times and had it touch me but I never got it. About 5 years ago, it was a hot day and I was sitting around and watching a drilling rig drill for a well on my property. I was kind of bored, and sitting on a big log. There happened to big big patch of poison oak by me and I decided to try an "experiment". I took a leaf and squished it between my fingers. You see, I knew the whole leaf didn't effect me so I had to get the oils out. I rubbed the leaf on a small spot on the underside on my wrist. That was it. A couple days went by and I completely forgot about my experiment. Fast forward about 5-6 days and I noticed a few small?pustules (like small water blisters) on the inside of my wrist. At first it didn't even occur to me that this was related. Well those blisters grew worse and worse and in a few more days I had red rash in patches all over my body. Because it was a hot day and insects fly around, I was wearing shorts and a tank top,? and everywhere that my fingers touched (arms, neck, legs, shoulders etc...) I got covered in a rash. It wasn't the worse that I had seen on people but it was pretty bad. I got some steroid cream and that helped.

Ever since that experiment I have been ultra sensitive to poison oak. I think? I get more sensitive each time. What surprises me each incident is just how long it takes to go away.?

Oh well, live and learn. At least it doesn't itch too bad but the red patches do look gross.

Lauren