Home Shop Classified News, Stories Events Education Ridecamp Videos Cartoons AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
ridecamp@endurance.net
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

Re: [RC] Poison Oak & Horses - steelsidedown

Yeah.. mine eat it too ... no problems

Jen


---- Lynn Kinsky <lkinsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: 

On Jul 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Lauren Horn wrote:

Is it possible for a horse (with thin, sensitive skin & hair) to have 
a delayed reaction to poison oak? We rode through a lot of it on a two 
day ride and a week later my horse suddenly comes down with really 
swollen, stocked up legs. Kind of like elephant legs, but not quite 
that bad. Vet is treating the symptoms with lasix (sp)  and steroids, 
but neither of us has no idea why she would suddenly swell. Poison oak 
is the only reason that I can think of. 

BTW, I'm covered in poison oak rashes myself. I had no idea that the 
ride was so full of it.

Lauren

I've never heard of a horse reacting that way to poison oak. Our trails 
are loaded with it and the horses seem to find it a real delicacy to 
eat if we stop along the trail!

Swanton is also loaded with stinging nettle 
(http://www.naturepark.com/snettle.htm) -- I itched for several days 
after doing Swanton (and I am not allergic to poison oak).


Lynn kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/


=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.
Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp
Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp

Ride Long and Ride Safe!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-