From: Diana Peterson [mailto:diana2507@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:18 PM
To: Smith, Dave
Subject: RE: [RC] teaching horses to pony

well...i am ponying my 10 onth old foal for about 6 month now...I am
ponying
of my gelding ... first you need the ridden horses respect... they are
not
allowed to kick ... if they do there needs to be a consequence.
I use a 12 foot Parelli lead rope to pony my foal...i started in the
pasture...you want some space when you start this....Also you NEED to
teach
the foal to " give to pressure" or it will pull your arm out... VERY
IMPORTANT !!!!   before you get on your horse to actually do this...
I also did a lot of leading him all over the farm so he trusts me when
we go
for a walk ,So when i started to actually pony him from my gelding there

where very little issues.
Off course because of his age we have not done any training rides with
him.
But that will follow late this summer.

I would do lots of walking so he/she can get the idea...and add speed
slowly.

Diana :-)

Good Luck