[RC] Need Ideas on how to save these horses - Susan Favro

Paddi Sprecht with Canadian Trail House posted the following message on the Ridecamp (at www.endurance.net):

30 head of purebred morgans are in very bad trouble. They are in Alberta north of Edmonton. Mostly young ones and mares (mares probably pregnant)

These are some very high quality horses but papers are probably not available. They have been fed some hay but due to parasite load (that is what the vet thinks) they are continuing to get worse. Some are like skeletons, it is very cold up here this time of year. The SPCA has done little about this. It has been an on going problem for 3 years that I am aware of. The horses will be sold at public auction  if they are seized by the SPCA. In Alberta that will mean the meat plant for most. These horses are not wild, they come to you right away when you enter the field. I have a place to keep some of them until they recover but there is the cost of feeding, worming etc. Halters are growing into faces with abscesses dripping pus. My friend has been keeping an eye on them and has managed to remove some halters. I plan on taking pictures this week to give evidence if needed.

So, US distance riders, here's an idea Paddi and I came up with:

A group of concerned folks in Alberta have arranged to get about 20 head taken care of. They've also arranged for purchase of about 15 round bales as well as hiring a guy to plow the snow and deliver the hay. The cost: $850.

These folks are opening their homes, pastures and hearts to help rescue these horses. If you'd like to help out, please purchase some "hay feed" on the Healthy As A Horse Web site.

I've set the amount at $10. If you want to donate more, just up the quantity (a quantity of 5 would be a $50 contribution). I’ll process your credit/debit card for the amount you specify and will then send a check to Paddi for the total donations received between now and Monday, January 22.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Susan Favro with Healthy As A Horse (406.864.8000/888.653.4478) or Paddi Sprecht with Canadian Trail House (866.897.4816).

Note: This is not a tax deductible donation; it's just an opportunity to help out. 100% of the funds will be sent to Canada for purchase of the hay. If there is extra money, it will be spent on wormer, medication, wound care, etc. that is needed by these horses.

Thank you for your help!

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for horse and rider”
Official Sponsor: AERC (American Endurance Ride Conference)
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx