[RC] RC :International - Leonard.Liesens

Title: RC :International

Well, I think this is not the right way to consider this evolution...
The Gulf countries gave endurance a lot more visibility. By buying horses in Europe, Australia, America, they increase the whole business in general.

France was also very negative about the fact that UEA bought all their best horses. I remember Pierre Cazs very upset about that and trying with the french federation to setup contracts with the owners of the best horses to try to keep them home. This was just 'protectionism'. After they discoverd that a more liberal attitude was better, since this had no effect of their good results thanks to the renewal of their good horses, the involment of more and more specialized breeders and professional riders.

Compare that with flat racing.

UAE also discovered that breding horses, preparing them (2 years), taking into account that on ten, maybe only one will make a decent 160K horse,  and paying professional trainers for the whole process... all this takes time and cost money.

Make the calculation... would you have to pay for every training ride. How much would a decent 120K or 160K horse cost?

To conclude, I do not think that this evolution doesn't handicap a country for performing well at the international level.

Leonard, Belgium

The incredibly rich Arabs have been buying a lot of our top ten
horses by offering insane amounts and then just warehousing them or
maybe using them to exercise and train their riders while saving
their young low mileage mounts for race day. One very slick way to
slow down the USA.....just buy our horses. Of course that's not the
only reason the USA faded but it is what is going on and at the very
least it reduces our pool of potential winners. I suspect a cool
$1,000,000 might buy Heraldic and that would be about ONE days oil
production for some sheik. I certainly hope that never happens
but......$10,000,000? Sport of kings right?

Don Huston  <donhuston@xxxxxxx>