Re: [RC] Need Ideas on how to save these horses - Mary Ann Spencer

extremely rough time of the year to get someone to haul them out.  maybe someone with a large/huge trailer could get them moved to places where volunteers could take a few here and there.  does the owner need a psych evaluation???????  dang, better to give away then let starve!!!
----- Original Message -----
From: CTH
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 8:45 PM
Subject: [RC] Need Ideas on how to save these horses

30 head of purebred morgans are in very bad trouble. They are in Alberta north of Edmonton.
Mostly young ones and mares (mares probably pregnant)
These are some very high quality horses but papers are probably not available.
They have been fed some hay but due to parasite load (that is what the vet thinks) they are continuing to get worse.
Some are like skeletons, it is very cold up here this time of year.
The SPCA has done little about this. It has been an on going problem for 3 years that I am aware of.
The horses will be sold at public auction  if they are seized by the SPCA. In Alberta that will mean the meat plant for most.
These horses are not wild, they come to you right away when you enter the field.
The owner is willing to sell them but is asking to much for their condition.
I have a place to keep some of them until they recover but there is the cost of feeding, worming ect.
Halters are growing into faces with abscesses dripping pus. My friend has been keeping an eye on them and has managed to remove some halters.
I plan on taking pictures this week to give evidence if needed.
Ideas on what can be done.
Paddi