Re: [RC] CRI and steths vs. handhelds - Truman Prevatt

All the issues you refer to are some of the reasons I would not like to see the CRI become a threshold based parameter, that is - four beats over and you are history. At least at endurance rides in our region - the vets do the CRI and most of your concerns go away.

The FL CTR organization does require a CRI at exactly 10 minutes of finishing. It is used in the scoring. We had a long discussion about the use of hand held monitors a few years ago. It was decided that for the on trail check of heart rate - the hand held was fine since that number is only used to determine if you horse is fit to go on or needs an additional 10 minute rest and rechecked. The number is not used for scoring.

However, it was decided that for the CRI at the end a stethoscope must be used. The pulse shall also be calculated using a 30 second count - not 15.

Mary Howell wrote:

Volunteers are precious and handhelds certainly do make things easier for them (it can be hard to HEAR that heartrate if you've got a lousy stethoscope or there's a brisk wind) but they convey mere numbers, not the character of the beats. With a stethoscrope, you can get a better image of how the heartrate is behaving - a steady drop or spikes.

I'd be curious to hear how ride managers address the task of pulse taking
and CRI's to ensure fairness.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil