[RC] CRI and steths vs. handhelds - Mary Howell

Regarding recent discussion on CRI, has anyone else has experienced a
certain level of subjectivity in conducting of CRI's and pulse taking in
general?

If the trot out isn't the full specified distance, involves a slope, or the
horse's 2nd pulse reading is not taken at exactly the prescribed time, the
CRI could turn out 4 beats higher or lower. I guess if all horse are handled
the same way, at least it's an even playing field.

I do think the CRI is a great tool and more indicative of a horse's state at
a given point in the ride than heartrate alone. A big, heavy horse with a
60/60 CRI may be handling the ride as well or better than a thinner-framed
horse with a 52/56 CRI. But CRI's need to be done CORRECTLY to be criteria
in things like BC judging.

When I started CTR and endurance about 10 years ago, stethoscopes were the
norm but now many rides use mostly handheld monitors.

I have nothing against heartrate monitors and technology, but some horses
(like mine!) have a body build that makes it harder to get a reading with a
handheld and often we have to find a volunteer with a stethoscope to help
move things along.

Volunteers are precious and handhelds certainly do make things easier for
them (it can be hard to HEAR that heartrate if you've got a lousy
stethoscope or there's a brisk wind) but they convey mere numbers, not the
character of the beats. With a stethoscrope, you can get a better image of
how the heartrate is behaving - a steady drop or spikes.

I'd be curious to hear how ride managers address the task of pulse taking
and CRI's to ensure fairness.