[RC] Using Hunter Hack to further conditioning - Spottedracer

During Hunting season, we close the public trails coming off of our farm to horse use. It's a safety issue.  During this time, the conditioning regime is changed for the 5 endurance mounts here.  Instead of lots of fast trail rides and LOTS of extreme grade work (town's not called 'White Bluff' for nothing..) - we switch to primarily arena work, with hauls to parks each month for a fast 25.

Since many of my students are getting more advanced, I've used this time to progress ALL of my horses training/skill levels. On both jumps and western sports.

Why do I use the term 'hunter hack' ?- this is generally designated as jumps less than 3' in height.  I've now also added a series of Cavaletti's, Oxford and 'gymnastics' in the arena as well. All of my schooling horses/endurance mounts - now have several classes where they are worked over the jump course. Some students go higher than others - but the horses have to do some stride and height judgements either way.

Now that the farm trails have reopened, I've noticed several differences in my endurance mounts. They are more balanced, make smoother flying lead changes around the turns, have no hesitation when faced with downed trees/obstacles needing jumping. Jump smoothly in stride, and are much more sure-footed. They have increased their wind in the canter/gallop. Overall, their average speed that they easily maintain has gone from 6 mph (which is the speed I generally ride at events), to 8-10mph.

BTW - I've also been jumping them in my mid-week training session this fall. I've noticed that my skill at jumping bareback and/or stirrupless - has FINALLY gotten to the level I once was when I could still use stirrups and competed in this disciplen. So it'll help those of us with physical limitations as well.
- LP