[RC] horses first competitive ride - Kathie Ford

I use the LD's first. Probably not popular but works for me. I want to see if the horse even likes the sport and can handle the whole situation. I use it to work on the basics as well. Being passed, passing, vetting thru, the adrenaline at the start with all the horses going out, camping...the whole nine yards etc...

I'd really not like to have one of mine start out on a 50 and then find out they don't even want to be there, or not being able to handle it mentally/metabolically.

It hasn't been difficult for my mare to bump up to 50's after an LD or two. Only took one experience where she realized she had to go out again and she was more than game for it. Her second 50 she could hardly wait to go back out after lunch! I had to hold her back! lol So I knew she liked the work and understood the gameplan which of course made it really fun!

I also like the LD's for the older horses, or for example a family member or friend wanting to see what it's all about, or a horse maybe coming back from an injury etc.

On that note I did take a friend thru a 30. Was a nice ride but she was SO glad to see the finish after the 30 miles, that she was yelling out hail mary's the entire last mile in!! lol!! :) Was pretty funny! In her case however, her horse was struggling thru and we were going slowly the whole day. In fact we came in dead last but finished. Would not have been a good idea for her horse to start on a 50 as she just wasn't a good eater. Her mare was that way at home too so it wasn't the ride. She just really never eats well and she almost ran out of gas. Good thing we found that out early on in a LD ride.

JMHO,

cheers!
kathie