Re: [RC] horses first competitive ride - Lysane Cree

I started my mare in CTR.
We don't have all the nitpicky stuff of horsemanship on trail or back at the trailer, the vet checks are the main thing and whether your horse has picked up any cuts or tack lesions, etc during the ride.
When I ride at home, I do a variety of conditioning rides, casual rides alone or with non-endurance people, riding in an arena, etc. so I think my horse is used to the variety since each time we go out it could be for one hour or 3, walking only or a variety of speeds and gaits. If I did only a short trail ride, I may come back to the barn, let her have a drink of water and do a mini vet check, then go work in the arena for awhile.
I started her with 12 mile and 15 mile training rides, then did a couple of 25s (CTR) and I don't find she was any less willing to go out - even on the 12 mile rides, they do two loops so the horse gets the idea that coming back to camp doesn't mean the end of the ride. That is the important part I think, that they don't get the idea that coming back to camp (or the barn) means its over.

Lysane

All new Yahoo! Mail -