[RC] rectal hydration therapy - Tx Trigger

I has inquired on this with a vet the other day after reading the report on things the girls did to "save the horse", as I had heard of it for lowering a horses core temp., but did not know how well it worked for rehydration. I was told that the rectum and caudal bowel does absorb water, sometimes quite a lot of it, so it is possible to rehydrate in this manner.. BUT it was added that this can cause huge problems on a dehydrated horse, as they more dehydrated they are, the more fragile those rectal tissues become, and horses rectal walls are very easy to tear. It was noted to me that someone that doesn't have a LOT of experience  and just stuffs a hose up the horses rear can easily cause a perforation  in the bowel, and feces could get into the  places it should never go, such as the abdomen, and the horse is then pretty much dead.

Not that I'd have tried it myself, but now I am pretty sure it would be something I'd leave for those who have attended all those years of vet school.....
Jonni