Re: [RC] Pacing - aggiekris

I also have a TWH gelding that, when i got him, would pace under saddle
but trot in the pasture when free. With the help of a friend and a LOT of
patience, he now trots under saddle and is a MUCH happier camper (his life
in Tennessee was not a happy one) now.

He still will pace under saddle on occassion, though, but under normal
circumstances, it's really not bad. When he's tired or mildly worried
about something, he'll get into a slow pace, which sometimes is difficult
to distinguish from his trot. It's easy to post, and really not so bad so
long as he isn't panicked while doing it. When I ask him to speed up or
extend his trot, he will go into an extremely fast pace before he breaks
into a canter, and THAT is an interesting gait.... It locks you into a
two-point position, and i've never felt more secure. Can't possibly move
anywhere, and we just fly down the trail - it's fabulous!

Kris

I have a TWH that I bought greenbroke in GA about 6 years ago.  He would
pace, but he was just not fit.  I didn't like it for riding.  Too sloshy.
So I taught him to trot, one stride at a time.  He literally couldn't hold
it for more than a stride or two at a time in the beginning.  Now he can
trot for miles.  If he drops into a pace, then I know he's getting
fatigued.  It's such a loud and bumpy signal that I can't miss it!  I love
it.  It's his built-in red flag.  Or white flag?

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
news, photos & more.