[RC] Comfortable gaits - Donna Coss

The "soft" backs,  a term that the Hungarians used and bred for,  seems
to be inherited!   There are family lines of the
Shagya Arabian that have this wonderful, reaching trot-- with
impulsion-- that is a joy to sit.    I say it is inherited because
it was one of the traits that "the ideal calvary horse" had to have!
This selection process began 200 years ago, so it has
been a characteristic that has had the time to jell!

I believe it is an inherited trait because you will observe this
"softness" only when the hip and shoulder angles are exactly correct!
And, this is, of course,   where good conformation comes into being.
Many of the  Shagyas  and Shagya cross breds have these
correct angles, and the good  strong back and loins that allow the
horse to carry a rider regardless of their weight.

You will also see big round hooves and larger bone in the feet and
legs.   Strong pasterns, not too long or too short!
 I have sold several of the Shagya and Shagya crosses who have gaits
that are smooth and easy and just comfortable
to sit, don't even have to post!   And they cover ground, keeping up
with the horses that are on a slow lope!

Ask Michael Elias, of Horse Dacor, who is just starting a young
gelding,  Nobelest,  on the endurance trail.  This is a half
Shagya/ half Arabian gelding which is a perfect cross for endurance.
You add bone and substance and a good mind and
maybe you are correcting the hip and shoulder angles.  Whatever the
reason, they are a perfect cross!

www.shagyasport.com