Re: [RC] [RC] Gaited 1/2 Arabs - Jessica Spoone-Raines

I know of several gaited Morabs where the dams are 50/50 ungaited morabs and the sire is a strongly gaited Morgan. As a matter of fact I think most of his get is gaited no matter what he's bred to.
Jess Spoone-Raines
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Gaited 1/2 Arabs

I have heard that too...that if one wants a gaited half Arab (or a gaited horse that his half non-gaited), then to make sure that the gaited parent is the mare for the greatest chance of getting gait.  I've known of 6 horses that were half of a gaited breed (2 Arab/Paso Finos, 2 Arab/TWH, 1 Morgan/MFT, and 1 Arab/RMH).  All were gaited, and in all cases, the dam was the gaited breed.  Of course, we need some examples the other way, with the gaited parent beng the sire, to see if "the rule" works.  <G>

Dawn