Re: [RC] [RC] Gaited 1/2 Arabs - Karen Sullivan

I kind of agree with the other poster that it also has a lot to do with conformation and hip angles and also the training......went through a Liz Graves clinic last feb. (well known gaited horse judge), and she gave us all sorts of criteria to apply to see if the horse had the conformation to gait..

I took my half Walker gelding to see what she thought of his conformation; he is a year under saddle and just developing that fast, 4-beat walk, and occasionally I get a few steps of running walk....he is by a strongly gaited TWH stallion, Benjamin Moore; out of a grade Arab or Anglo Arab. The best way I can get him to push that 4-beat walk and hopefully into a gait is hold him back from a group..and encourage the walk to catch up....problem is this guy doesn't MIND separating from the group!!!!

Here are some of my observations:

A lot depends on how  we sit and ride; I have owned both a pure Polish Arab mare who singlefooted; and an Anglo Arab who developed a stepping pace (broken pace where the hind foot hits before the front on the lateral side).  She discovered this gait on a very long, boring down hill road were the rider would not let her jig...hence, she discovered the rider would allow this funny gait which was very smooth and fast.  Same scenario with the Arab....we don't allow jigging....

The Arab was short and chunky...and Anglo Arab was extremely short backed and built like a Wildebeast!!!  Huge shoulder, strong hind end...built totally uphill, go figure....awesome trot and smooth canter

A friend has an Arab gelding a good year under saddle..where she concentrated on walk, walk, walk.......this guy now does
the downhill stepping pace, awesome!!

My mustang is 3 years solid under saddle, with alot of walking...last year she also discovered the downhill stepping pace....now she also does a running walk at times.  She is level backed, long backed and very strong....

My Arab/Walker mare, no one knows the parents....never did have any gait...but fast walk, nice trot and VERY smooth canter.

Another friend has a QH type reg. Appaloosa...that I think has the fastest walk I have ever seen, plus step paces and foxtrots!!!!!
He is loose jointed, flexible and a wonder to watch.  Nobody would pick him out of a field as a gaited horse!

The only common factor I can find here is that these horses are NOT allowed to jig!!!  There is no common conformation or hip similarity.  A majority of them are ridden in treeless saddles.

But there are other great advantages to the Arab/gaited cross.  OFten you can get more size and bone into the mix, if that is what the rider wants...sometimes a cooler personality....but even if they DON'T do an easy gait, often all the gaits are smoother and easier on the rider.  All the half-gaited horses I have had do have excellent canters.

One problem you can find with a pure gaited horse is some tendency to be more "pacey"....I had a pure Walker who was very pacey, as was my Foxtrotter mare....then that becomes something to struggle with.

Hopefully Amber Applegait will pop in here with some comments; she is Northwest queen of doing endurance with gaited horses and I would love to see her comments, as I am pretty new to all this...just sharing my experiences...Generally, I see the gait several years out under saddle....

Fun stuff
KAren