From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:29 PM
To: Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Shoes and slipping

One popular ride around here is to ride about 10 to 15 miles through the
forest to a small town restaurant for breakfast. There is about a half
mile walk from where you come out of the woods to the restaurant to down
a paved road. The road is not busy - you seldom see a vehicle. On my old
walking horse mare, I would usually just ride her down the road at a
walk but sometime we would gait. One day I meet up with my endurance
buddies on their Arabs and we head up. I just trot on out of the woods
and down the road. They start yelling. I turn around and their horses
are slipping and sliding around on the pavement. I stop, they get off
and lead their horses down the side of the road. I stay on and walk on
down.

When I rode the Jbird there the first time, he came on the pavement and
it was like ice skating - so I got off pretty quickly.

I think a lot of how a horse handles slick footing is a function of the
horse. The old mare had very quick feet, a quiet upper body was
extremely sure footed in slick going. She was almost like a ballerina in
tough footing, from pavement to mud uphill, downhill or on the flat. She
always kept her balance and her center of gravity (even with a rider
aboard) in balance. She had an amazing talent for doing that.

I've ridden a lot of horses in my few years on this earth and have never
ridden one that was good at that as she was.

Truman