Re: [RC] Shoes and slipping - Truman Prevatt

One popular ride around here is to ride about 10 to 15 miles through the forest to a small town restaurant for breakfast. There is about a half mile walk from where you come out of the woods to the restaurant to down a paved road. The road is not busy - you seldom see a vehicle. On my old walking horse mare, I would usually just ride her down the road at a walk but sometime we would gait. One day I meet up with my endurance buddies on their Arabs and we head up. I just trot on out of the woods and down the road. They start yelling. I turn around and their horses are slipping and sliding around on the pavement. I stop, they get off and lead their horses down the side of the road. I stay on and walk on down.

When I rode the Jbird there the first time, he came on the pavement and it was like ice skating - so I got off pretty quickly.

I think a lot of how a horse handles slick footing is a function of the horse. The old mare had very quick feet, a quiet upper body was extremely sure footed in slick going. She was almost like a ballerina in tough footing, from pavement to mud uphill, downhill or on the flat. She always kept her balance and her center of gravity (even with a rider aboard) in balance. She had an amazing talent for doing that.

I've ridden a lot of horses in my few years on this earth and have never ridden one that was good at that as she was.

Truman

Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx wrote:
I think  it may depend on the type of shoe.  Wide web may slip differently
than a narrower shoe, rim shoes may slip differently from the previous two.
Small studs may also affect slipping (ok that may be the point of studs
,<grin>   ) Notice I didn't say which one slip more or less than the
others, but i remember not slipping as much with a rim shoe as they seemed
to provide more traction..  The way the horse moves may cause any of the
shoes to slip differently as well as the surface  factors.  Just a thought.

The wind flew.  God told to wind to condense itself and out of the flurry
came the horse.  But with the spark of spirit the horse flew by the wind
itself.
    - Marguerite Henry's King of the Wind

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics