Re: [RC] [RC] (RC) *[RC] Rain rot remedy, anyone? - Val Nicoson

I'll throw in my .02 as my grey mare gets this nearly every single year...some years are worse than others.  I tried alot of treatments and the one that works for her is:
Scrub the scabbies off however you want
than rub some Excalibur sheath cleaner on each until it suds up a bit
then leave it until the next day/treatment
A word of caution though--keep an eye on it with the Excalibur if the horse is out in the sun alot.  One year she had scabs on top of her withers and I did our usual treatment...a couple days later she looked like she was broiled on that spot...very red and sore...I simply put baby powder on that spot after cleaning it each time and that did the trick.  Unfortunately the baby powder doesn't work as a normal remedy for her.

Val + Sania

PS--Jim...my grey mare also has a heavy coarse coat in the Summer.  Interesting that her and Magic are both greys.  Wonder how many other greys are like this.