[RC] FW: Panacur - Older horse - - sherman

Funny how one person’s idea of “older horse” can be so different from another (:>).We consider our 16-19 yr olds, pretty young still. Anyway, about your purge question...if the history is unknown, I think you’d want to start with the mildest wormer, Panacur. Then a month later (I think, someone correct me if I’m wrong) use the Ivermectin.  Do you use Strongid or Exodus (pyrimidines)? If you have access to them, you might want to include them in your rotation. The best time for the purge is after the first hard frost.

My schedule is Jan or Feb(deep winter) use Panacur or Safeguard, Mar or April use Equimectrin, May or June use Strongid, repeat schedule for the remaining months. I do the purge in Jan or Feb.

Kathy

Hi Everyone,

I've been trolling the archives and would like to ask for specific advise RE: Older horses.

My boy's 16, I'm keen to do the purge and I have an 'unknown' worming history for the last 11 months. Prior to that he was fairly regularly wormed - i.e. inconsistent - mainly ivermectin. We have had a resistant pinworms issue about 2 years back, which was 'cured' through double dose of praziquantal if I remember correctly.

Questions:

1. Ivermectin first to drop the load down, followed by purge? or purge then ivermectin 30 days later?
2. Unknown worm load - expected/extreme symptoms, dangers, precautions for an older horse?
3. Time of year? (refer: http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/archives/past/02/2/msg00279.html ) - we're in
Australia, so mid-winter atm.