Re: Re: Panacur Purge

Linda, you bring up a very good point.  In cattle, there are times when one simply doesn't give dewormers that kill encysted or migrating phases, because there are potentially so many that the death of them all at once can cause anaphylactic shock and death.  I'm beginning to think that folks had likely best check the local times when bots are migrating, and avoid those times of year for doing the fenbendazole purge as well.  Likely the most dangerous time of year is late fall and early winter--at any rate, it is for cattle with migrating grubs, but the bot life cycle is somewhat similar.  Each locale has its own "cut-off" time for doing cattle because of this.

Heidi
----- Original Message -----
From: Linda B. Merims
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 9:39 AM
Subject: RC: Re: Panacur Purge

I did a Panacur purge on my horse late last fall
for the first time in the six years that I have owned him.
The only thing unexpected was that my horse
broke out in welts all over his body beginning
the third day of the purge.  He wasn't a very happy
camper.  The welts disappeared the second day
after the completion of the five day purge.

It turns out they actually *do* warn you about
this.  If there are encysted buggies in the muscle
tissue, they emit an irritant toxin as they begin to die
and the horse's body responds with swelling.
The Panacur also caused a number of bots
that were working their way into the jaw to
do a quick exit, resulting in supprating sores
under the jaw.