[RC] [RC] Fly Control-Rabon Block - Patti

From: "geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx " <geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Fly Control-Rabon Block

Hello all,
 Just got back from the Purina Feed store. They have this thing called a "Sweetlix Rabon" feed thru fly control block. Does anyone use these? I am interested in the ease of use.

I got one many many years ago - my two horses liked it so much they chewed off chunks - and I had a huge vet bill. I was new to caring for my own horses and didn't realize that use of the block needed to be closely monitored to avoid overconsumption. It seemed like such an easy way to lessen flies. The top dress rabon pellets (Equitrol) are more easily controlled but the U of AZ vets tested a bunch of horses and advised (late 80's/early 90's) to avoid rabon products.

A lawsuit related to Equitrol
and the manufacturer's response
and the study referenced in the response http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/cumulative/rra-op/
which seems to be about food residuals, scanning through the documents I didn't find references to cholinesterase inhibition in horses (who live a lot longer than food chain animals).

Tolerance Reassessment and Risk Management Decisions for Organophosphate Pesticides...
b. EPA has determined that labels for tetrachlorvinphos feed-through products for horses must state that the product is a chlolinesterase inhibitor, describe signs of cholinesterase inhibition in horses, caution against use with other cholinesterase inhibiting compounds, and direct horse owners to consult a veterinarian before using products containing tetrachlorvinphos on debilitated, aged, breeding, pregnant or nursing animals. (from http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/tcvp_tred.pdf page 11 of 184)

I'd read the label carefully before deciding on the "ease of use".

Patti K

Vail AZ