[RC] Panacur - Older horse - Danelle Jones

Hi Everyone,

I've been trolling the archives and would like to ask for specific advise RE: Older horses.

My boy's 16, I'm keen to do the purge and I have an 'unknown' worming history for the last 11 months. Prior to that he was fairly regularly wormed - i.e. inconsistent - mainly ivermectin. We have had a resistant pinworms issue about 2 years back, which was 'cured' through double dose of praziquantal if I remember correctly.

Questions:

1. Ivermectin first to drop the load down, followed by purge? or purge then ivermectin 30 days later?
2. Unknown worm load - expected/extreme symptoms, dangers, precautions for an older horse?
3. Time of year? (refer: http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/archives/past/02/2/msg00279.html ) - we're in Australia, so mid-winter atm.

I assume that if he's got a heavy worm load it'll be doing more damage than the purge could do harm. I also plan to have him on some probiotics, sugar beet and a pellets (v. small amount to administer vit/minerals) at the same time. Poor guy, he's getting a makeover this month - dentist's due too. New barn's worming regime yet to be confirmed.

Any help much appreciated, so far I'm working off the following advice posted earlier to the ridecamp list:
http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/archives/past/02/2/msg00259.html

And I'm ordering 1L of Panacur:
http://vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?productid=16643&cat=0&page=1

And measuring weight for dosage by the metric/cm method here:
http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/veterinary/erc/bodyweight.htm

Thanks!

--
Danelle Jones