[RC] hay safety tips - Dana B.

In light of the questions coming across Ridecamp about buying hay,  I thought I'd pass on a couple of things I learned this morning.

In starting my annual pre-hay-washdown of the barn (I put it all up at once since, in theory, it's cheaper in the summer plus the road to my barn becomes axle deep mud in winter) I learned the following:

(1) While working in habitat known to attract wildlife, one should use caution even if it is the middle of summer and wildlife is supposed to be living in the "wild."

(2)  Young skunks are either (a) not able to fire, (b) not able to fire when sleepy, or (c) don't scare easily when old women scream and drop pallets on their head.

(3)  One runs much faster while screaming - it must oxygenate the blood.  I must try this on my next marathon....

(4)  Old ladies can out run young skunks, but young skunks can hide faster than young men can run while clutching firearms.

As if that lesson was not enough, just as my jangling nerves began to settle I was treated to yet another less dramatic, but equally interesting tidbit:

(1)  guniea fowl are capable of producing a noise of  8,457 decibles when sounding the alarm.

(2) guniea fowl become distressed at the sound of high pressure water hitting metal roofing or wood walls or concrete floors.

(3) in spite of their limited mental capacity, they are capable of learning and thus can be desensitized.  the bads news is this process takes approximately 2 hours.

Happy haying :-)

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.