[RC] Update-Huginn's Visit with Raven 7-4 PM - Debbie Kirchner

Hello all, As you know, Raven got a call this morning that Huginn had
taken a turn for the worse,  temp was up to 102.4 the blood test came
back with HIGHER Liver and Kidney enzymes, as well as High White blood
counts, low red cell counts...

They gave him more Bannemine then... that was about 10-11 I think....I
decided I would go up... thank you Judy, Julia, and Odette for
relaying messages to us...

I met Raven about a half hour from the Clinic and we drove from
there... she was holding her own, Saying, I am not going to cry, I am
not going to cry, Huggin, does not need me to come in crying." Well
that did it, we both started to cry. But not for long cause I needed
to Drive...

We got to the U of M. A truck and Trailer was there, Truck Windows
rolled down, trailer doors still wide open... OH, NO an emergency...
since it was a holiday, they were short staffed, we called to be let
in, but it took a while for them to get to us, because of the
emergency... ( it was a mare and foal, the mare had choked, but they
got her cleared and sent her home )

The sun was HOT, we waited and waited, talked and talked, Judy called,
Julia called and Oddete called, I was glad we were outside and had
reception...

When Sheryl was free, she let us in, apologizing to us because she was
with the emergency horse...what a nice, nice person, she led us down
to the Isolation barn... we walked in and down a hallway.. later I
realized that the stalls were on the right... cause all of a sudden,
Raven said, "is he in here?" and she said, "Yes" we were able to look
into this tiny window, and there he was! We could see just a bit of
him behind the barrier.... I was so happy to see him Standing...

Cheryl  gave Raven some plastic boot bags which she put on over her
shoes... Cheryl then opened the door and asked Raven to step into the
liquid in front of the door before she went into an area that was
right before the stall.. there she put on gowns and gloves... I was
taking pictures through the window... once Raven was dressed she
stepped into another bucket of solution and into the stall with
Huggin... he was finishing up a treatment with another Vet Tech, but
let me tell you, he was trying to get to Raven while she was gowning
up... it was very special.

Cheryl then took the camera from me and took some pictures for us... I
see Raven just sent them....

She, hugged him and loved on him... I was crying as I watched from
outside the stall... his ears were up while she was gowning up, but
were back a little while the Vet tech finished up her treatment, I
suspect it hurt a little....he has a catheter in his neck for the
meds...

She brushed him, and he took it all in, then he laid down at her feet,
she kept loving him... we offered him food, but he would not eat, he
was shivering, she asked me to read his chart to see what I could
learn...

I was reading and studying it, trying to put it all in perspective....

they have Doubled his Penicillin G and added a Broad Spectrum
Antibiotic, he is getting Ulcergaurd and eating his beat pulp for the
night gal... he is also eating some hay, not a lot, his temps are
staying down on Banemine... but not without it...

Cheryl called the vet while we were there because Raven thought Huginn
was cold, he was shivering, but the Vet said, she did not want him to
get to warm, because that was worse, his temp had dropped to 99.9 at 2
PM, Banimine is good stuff.....

we left about 4:45 I think, time kind of slipped by us quickly...

I also LOVE these people, they check on them every hour, they go in
with him every 4 hours, take Vitals every 6 or 8 hours, I don't
remember that number for sure... he is in great hands.... getting
great care

While we were at Dinner, the night caregiver called and said, she felt
she would get him to eat, he always eats when she feeds him.... She
knows how to mix it up for him I guess..

I am really tired... so not sure If I forgot something or not...

the Vets still do not know what we are dealing with for sure, they are
going to do another scan in the morning and ultrasound him from head
to tail... I will update you again tomorrow...

I think Judy will put the pictures on the website, link is below...

thank you so very much...
--
Debbie in MN
Huginn's Hospital Fund Website http://iceryder.net/ravenhuginn.html